In 1991, a group of men came together at a local Sheriff’s Department that would have a significant impact on Kern County Law Enforcement. That group was the Metropolitan Patrol 3 Squad. Over several years, these men learned and worked together, not realizing where their careers would lead. Together they developed Tactics, Communications skills, and a Leadership style that was instrumental in the development of the classes we provide. Since working together, 3 Squad alumni have gone on to become Sergeants, Lieutenants, Commanders, and a Chief of Police. This company was named in honor of this group of Law Enforcement Officers, partners and friends.
Your Instructor, Dave Lostaunau, was a Patrol Deputy on the 3 Squad from 1991 to 2000. In a career with the Sheriff’s Office, he worked numerous assignments, including Detention Facilities, Transportation, and the Courts. In 2000 he was assigned to the Community Resources Division, coordinating the DARE Program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) and teaching in local area schools. After assignments in Lamont and the Gang Suppression Unit, he was assigned to Training as the Sergeant in charge of the Firearms Training Unit. Over time, all departmental use of force training fell under his control, not only Firearms, but also Defensive Tactics, Tactical Communications, Chemical Agents, and TASERS. During his tenure as Range Master, more than twenty officers used their firearms to save their own lives or the lives of those around them. Throughout this time he held the collateral assignment of Crisis Negotiator with the SWAT team, and served as the primary negotiator on numerous SWAT emergencies.
In 2012, Dave retired from the Department after 28 years as an Active Officer with more than 5000 hours of training and hundreds of hours of instructor-level training. He remains a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, and is certified in the following subjects:
Tactical Handgun, Tactical Shotgun, Tactical Rifle, TASERS, Emergency Management, Defensive Tactics, Arrest and Control, First Aid/CPR, Tactical Communications, Academy Instructor (Advanced), Use of Force, Simunitions, Scenario Management, Force Options Simulator, Chemical Agents, Glock Armorer, AR15 Platform Armorer, M1A Armorer
Dave’s primary influence regarding Firearms Training has been Bill Jeans of Morrigan Consulting. Under Bill’s critical eye, Dave has studied hundreds of hours. Jeans was the Range Master at Gunsite, the Firearms School founded by his mentor, Col. Jeff Cooper, the developer of “Modern Pistolcraft.” Dave began studying Chinese martial arts at a young age, becoming an Instructor, and over time studied Chinese, Japanese and Korean styles. He became a Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics Instructor under the tutelage of Rod Sanford and Bob Koga, the foremost developers of current Law Enforcement tactics. Dave has attended several classes on Hostage Negotiations and Tactical Communications. He was trained by George Thompson, the developer of Verbal Judo, and also attended the FBI Negotiator School. In 2011, he was certified by the Force Science Institute in the study of human performance under stress, and in 2012 he became a National Rifle Association (NRA) Pistol Instructor. His company, 3 Squad Tactical, became a Standards and Training for Corrections (STC) certified training provider in 2013.
3 Squad Tactical is a Training Company specializing in Firearms, Defensive Tactics and Tactical Communications training for both Law Enforcement Officers and Civilians.
My goal is to build a company that is as solid as a fortress. To create this... Stronghold, I started with a foundation of Faith. There are five pillars that create the framework of the Stronghold. They are:
1) Gunfighting. Not Target Shooting, not Hunting, but the use of a Firearm to save your life or the lives of those around you. Recognizing that the things target shooters and hunters do won't work effectively in a fight.
2) Defensive Tactics. Practical, simple methods of avoiding injury in a confrontation. A combination of Police tactics and Martial Arts learned from great men over many years.
3) Tactical Communications. Generating Voluntary Compliance. The use of the voice and words as a defensive skill.
4) Force Science. The study of human performance under stressful circumstances. Pioneered by Dr. Bill Lewinsky, force science explores the relationship between psychology, physiology, and the use of force.
5) Practical Experience. In almost 3 decades of Law Enforcement, I was privileged to experience a variety of assignments and an array of the best Tactical Instruction available anywhere in the world. As a result, I was tasked with developing all use of force training for a major (1000+ Officers) Law Enforcement Agency.
It is the relationship between each of these five pillars that I believe will give 3 Squad Tactical it's strength.
Empowering YOU to take control of your own safety.